Fall is the perfect time to enjoy your squash from the garden, and it is also a great time for soup! There are so many different soups that you can make with squash but we wanted to share this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Crème Fraîche:
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Crème Fraîche
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), halved and seeded
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream Ground nutmeg, to taste
- ¼ cup Crème Fraîche
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup Sprigs of rosemary for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rub olive oil over the cut side of the squash and season with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper then place the squash cut side down on the pan. Then tuck the garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, 1 tbsp of the butter and 1 bay leaf under the cavity of the squash.
- Roast the squash for 50 to 60 minutes, until soft and caramelized. Remove from the oven and let cool. Make sure to reserve the garlic cloves and discard the thyme.
- Scoop the butternut squash flesh from the skin, coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 3 tbsp of butter then add the onion and sauté the onion until they brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add the roasted butternut squash, the roasted garlic cloves, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and sauté until the squash begins to caramelize, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil then decrease temperature and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup until smooth with a hand-held blender or in a food processor. Then stir in the cream.
- Add ground nutmeg to desired taste. In a small bowl, add Crème Fraîche and maple syrup and mix.
- To serve, ladle soup into shallow bowls, or tall shooter glasses. Dollop each with ½ teaspoon of crème fraîche and garnish with rosemary.