With the Holiday’s coming up, we wanted to share some recipes with you from Cooking Light! Its a great time to use up any of your root veggies from your garden!
The recipes are a great twist on classic holiday dishes, and on the healthier side as well.
We hope you try them out!
Pan Roasted Veggies
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound peeled cubed butternut squash (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-in. pieces (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 8 ounces small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- Cooking spray
Skillet Green Bean Casserole
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Combine oil, mustard, thyme, 2 teaspoons vinegar, salt, and pepper in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine butternut squash, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes in a large bowl. Add mustard mixture to squash mixture; toss to coat.
Spread vegetable mixture in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450°F for 35 minutes or until browned and tender, stirring gently with a spatula after 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar; toss.
Variation: Lemon-Herb Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables
- 1 pound haricots verts (French green beans)
- 2 (1-oz.) slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese (about 6 Tbsp.), grated and divided
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine butternut squash, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, and potatoes from above recipe in a large bowl. Add oil mixture, 10 peeled garlic cloves, and 1/2 thinly sliced lemon to vegetables; toss to coat. Bake as directed in step 3 of above recipe. Remove pan from oven; sprinkle vegetables with 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives, 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest strips, and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice; toss.
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Cook beans in a large saucepan filled with boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Plunge beans into ice water; drain well.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Stir in parsley, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and 2 tablespoons cheese.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium. Add onion and mushrooms; sauté 8 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in stock, milk, and sherry. Bring to a simmer; cook 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; stir in remaining 4 tablespoons cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add beans to pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumb mixture. Broil 2 minutes.